Wednesday 25 April 2012

Jizan (Part 3)

This morning I retraced my steps along the corniche and in addition to yesterdays birds came across a couple of juvenile greater flamingo and two migrating male northern wheatear on the sea wall.

I then pushed on a bit further north to a large area of coastal dunes. The scrub was full of barred warbler and I found my first abyssinian roller. A nice male white-throated robin was also sheltering from the sun under a bush. Among the other migrants were several masked shrike, woodchat shrike and red-backed shrike.

In the afternoon I took the same road back into the mountains as yesterday. One wadi held a family party of african grey hornbill, a rock bunting and several nile valley sunbird. I visited the lake again where I managed to boot a white-browed coucal from the reed bed and several red-throated pipit from the waters edge.

A stream running through one of the villages was very productive, three abyssinian roller noisily hawked overhead and four hamerkop took flight from the riverside rocks and a single ortolan bunting put in an appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment