Saturday 3 December 2011

White-breasted waterhen

White-breasted waterhen (Amauromis phoenicurus) is a rare winter visitor to the UAE with an average of one to two records each year.

One was reported yesterday at the American University of Sharjah which is only 20 minutes drive from my home in Mirdif, Dubai. The bird was reported in the same area as another adult bird was found last year so it is likely to be the same bird returning.

I met up at the university gates with fellow birder David Rendell who is a lecturer at the university and he kindly showed me the spot the bird frequents. It showed immediately, picking around at the foot of a shady hedge. I watched it for a couple of minutes but when we tried to approach it for some photos it ran off into the undergrowth never to be seen again.

I've seen thousands of them in India but this was my first in the UAE and my 325th UAE tick.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ FULL LIST _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

3 Grey francolin
2 Red-wattled plover
1 White-breasted waterhen
20 Collared dove
10 Laughing dove
2 White wagtail
10 White-cheeked bulbul
20 Common myna

No comments:

Post a Comment