Monday 5 December 2011

Bye Bye Dubai

Life is leading me on another journey and later this week I shall be leaving Dubai after 11 years for pastures (or sand) new. I'm going to live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (KSA). When I arrived in Dubai the birding was very different to what it is today. Al-Wathba camel track in Abu Dhabi was still the country's hot-spot and Emirates golf course was still accessible and offered the best birding in Dubai together with a drive along the shore of Ras Al-Khor (unfenced as it was at the time).

Back in 2000 there were only about five birders in the country, all pioneers and hugely knowledgeable. Now there are more than twenty regular birders and a birding community has started to thrive. It's been an absolute joy birding here and without it I could not have survived. 325 Species and countless good friends later it's time to move on for at least the short term. But I'm sure I'll be back.

Sociable plover, Dubai, UAE

No comments:

Post a Comment