Monday 21 April 2014

March round up

March saw the end of my all too brief sojourn in Azerbaijan. Although I was only birding there over the winter I still managed 148 species including 21 lifers. Lammergeier, little bustard and dalmatian pelican were amongst the many highlights. It was a pity that even the hardiest birds had vacated the mountains during the depths of winter but it's an area I will certainly return to.

I moved to Egypt towards the end of March and started birding here in the Cairo area so my months total was a fairly decent 106 including just the one lifer, a smart male Ruppells warbler on the golf course where I live which was bird of the month.

Egypt may not have a huge amount of lifers for me but the deep south should hold some surprises and Western Palearctic rarities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment