Sunday 12 January 2014

Shirvan National Park

I took a second trip to Shirvan National park today. Overall bird numbers were lower than last week, (400 greylag goose and 120 little bustard), but I did add four species to my Azerbaijan list which now stands at 110.

Goitered gazelle

Shirvan is nationally renowned for wintering greater flamingo which in spite of their size can be a little hard to find in the extensive pools but today a flock of 30 were far out on the lake sheltering from the cold. Not so far out among the commoner ducks and a good count of 10 smew were two fine male pintail.

Crested lark

The flamingo and pintail were both new Azerbaijan species for me, the third was three water rail found picking through the drainage ditch reeds.

Dalmatian pelican

Raptor numbers were much as last week, 25 marsh harrier, 2 merlin, 2 common kestrel and a sparrowhawk which was was all set to land on the boardwalk above my head until it noticed me at the last minute.

The fourth new Azerbaijan species was corn bunting, a small flock was perched on the electricity cables by the lake.

Corn bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment